Education and Research Profile
PhD, University of Reading (2010); MA, Birkbeck, University of London (2004); Laurea quadriennale, University of Catania (2002)
Sergio Rigoletto has a joint appointment in the Cinema Studies program and in the department of Romance Languages. His expertise is in European Cinema (especially Italian), Queer Cinema, Stars Studies, Film Comedy, and Television. His current research focuses on film star Anna Magnani, the question of authenticity in the media, and the queer art film.
- Masculinity and Italian Cinema: Sexual Politics, Social Conflict and Male Crisis in the 1970s (Edinburgh University Press: Edinburgh, 2014)
- Popular Italian Cinema (co-edited with Louis Bayman) (Palgrave: Basingstoke, 2013)
- 'Notes on Queer Visibility in Contemporary Italian Film', in The Italianist (Film Issue), forthcoming 2017.
- ‘Country Cousins: Europeanness, Sexuality and Locality in Contemporary Italian Television’ (co-authored with Martin Dines), in Modern Italy, 17:4, 2012, pp. 479-491.
- ‘Contesting National Memory: Masculine Dilemmas and Oedipal Scenarios in Bernardo Bertolucci’s Strategia del ragno and Il conformista’, in Italian Studies, 67:1, 2012, pp. 124-146.
- ‘Sexual Dissidence and the Mainstream: the Queer Triangle in Ferzan Ozpetek’s Le fate ignoranti’, in The Italianist (Film Issue), 30:2, 2010, pp. 202-218.
- 'Anna Magnani in The Golden Coach' in Murray Pomerance and Kyle Stevens (Eds), Great Cinematic Performances: International, Edinburgh University Press, Edinburgh, forthcoming 2017.
- '(S)vestire Anna Magnani: la costruzione del soggetto autentico attraverso i costumi' in Maria Paola Pierini, Giulia Carluccio and Emiliano Morreale (Eds), Intorno al neorealismo, Scapeldi, Milan, forthcoming 2017.
- ‘The Fair and the Museum: Framing the Popular’ (co’-authored with Louis Bayman) in Louis Bayman and Sergio Rigoletto (Eds.), Popular Italian Cinema, Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke, 2013, pp. 1-28.
- ‘Laughter and the “Popular” in Lina Wertmüller’s The Seduction of Mimì’ in Louis Bayman and Sergio Rigoletto (Eds.), Popular Italian Cinema, Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke, 2013, pp. 117-132.
- ‘Italian-Style Comedy and l’italiano medio: Strategies of Exclusion’ in Lucy Bolton and Christina Siggers Manson (Eds.), Italy on Screen: Italian Identity in the National Imaginary and International Symbolic, Peter Lang, London, 2010, pp. 35-49.