**GRE scores are NOT required for the Department of Romance Languages application. GRE scores sent to the department will not be reviewed.**
- Graduate School/Department Application Questions
- Statement of Purpose You must upload a 750-word statement of purpose describing: your academic experience, your reasons for wanting to do graduate work in the Department of Romance Languages, and your eventual career goals. Students applying to the PhD program must also specify their research interests.
- Three Recommenders Contact information for professors with whom you have worked and who can make direct reference to your aptitude for graduate courses in literary and cultural studies, as well as your language competency. One recommender may refer to your potential teaching ability. Recommenders will be sent an email which will ask them to respond electronically and upload a letter of recommendation directly to the online application.
- Official Transcripts Upload official or unofficial copies to the online application. Also, send official paper copies to the Office of Admissions and to the Department of Romance Languages. See Transcripts for detailed instructions.
- TOEFL / IELTS This requirement is specifically for applicants for whom English is not a native language. Enter your test date and self reported score in the online application and send official test results to the Department of Romance Languages and to the Graduate School. International students must demonstrate proficiency in English. See English Language Proficiency for more information.
- Writing Sample Required if applying to the PhD program. The substantial writing sample may be a MA thesis, a graduate seminar paper, or an undergraduate research paper on a relevant topic.