Stickels Scholarship recipient Fulgaro completes intensive language study in Mexico

Ivano Fulgaro, MA student in Romance Languages and a 2013 Stickels Scholarship recipient, reports the following experience from his time in Guadalajara, Mexico:

Thanks to the support of Department of Romance Languages and the Stickels Scholarship, last summer, I attended an advanced Spanish language course in Mexico. I chose to go to the Centro de Estudios para Extranjeros (CEPE) at Colegio de Español y Cultura Mexicana, University of Guadalajara. I soon realized that CEPE was the right choice since when I received the first email by Luis who helped me throughout the entire application process and during my stay. The course was well organized and delivered by an attentive instructor. We worked on several topics such as Mexican culture, cinema as well as the subjuntivo [subjunctive mood of verbs]. During my stay, I lived with a family and I had the opportunity to “taste” some Mexican food and culture with its nuances and peculiarities. Even if for a small amount of time, it was great to be part of the community and to communicate with people in a different language. The more languages we speak the bigger our world is.