Posts under tag: Global Scholars Hall
French, Italian, and Portuguese faculty from the Romance Languages Department will lead a week long series of events to celebrate Carnevale 2014. All events will be held in the Global Scholars Hall on the University of Oregon campus. Learn to cook French Liege Waffles! Learn to dance the Capoeira! Watch a movie!
A free public screening of the documentary “Tijuana: Sonidos del Nortec” will be held at 6 p.m. Friday, Nov. 22, in the Great Room, room 123, of the Global Scholars Hall on the UO campus, followed by a Q&A with Ramón Amezcua (Bostich) and Pepe Mogt (Fussible).
The full band’s first visit to the Pacific Northwest is sponsored by the College of Education’s Department of Education Studies and numerous other organizations at the University of Oregon, including the Department of Romance Languages.
Edward M. Olivos, a professor in the Department of Education Studies at the College of Education, was instrumental in bringing the group to Oregon. Although cultural sensitivity and appreciation is a key part of his program’s curriculum and a focus of many other organizations on campus, Olivos thought it was important to provide an authentic and fun event to promote these ideas.
“Misperceptions about Latin music often mirror those about Latino culture in general – narrow or old-fashioned at best, stereotypical at worst,” said Olivos. “Hosting Nortec Collective is a great way for us to show the community how modern, vital and relevant Latino culture is. Music can help shift perceptions through the shared cultural experience, particularly the music that is created along the U.S./Mexico border.”
Thursday, October 24, 1:30-3:30pm, EMU Fir Room
Please join us for refreshments and conversation to help you gather information on all the following opportunities in one place:
* Major/Minor Requirements & Declaration in French, Italian, Spanish, and Romance Languages
* European Studies Progam
* Latin American Studies Program
* Spanish Language Heritage Program
* Second Language Acquisition in Teaching Program (SLAT)
* Study abroad opportunities (Office of International Affairs)
* Internships Abroad & in Lane County (Int’l Affairs, Participatory Learning Experience)
* National Student Exchange (includes options in Canada & Puerto Rico)
* Teach in France (Lycée Program), Italy (Internships in Lombardy or Piemonte), or Spain (Cultural Ambassadors Program)
* Teach for America
* Peace Corps
* Graduate Study (Dept of Romance Languages)
* Teaching Certification Programs (College of Education)
* Careers (Career Center)
* Global Scholars Hall
* Teaching and Learning Center (tutoring & academic support)
Questions?: Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.