Nicoletta Pazzaglia (Ph.D. in RL, 2014)

My name is Nicoletta Pazzaglia and I am a former student at the University of Oregon. I received my Ph.D in Romance Languages in December 2014 with a dissertation titled Madness Apparatus: Gender Politics, Art and the Asylum in Fin-de- Siècle Italy. I am currently a second year Visiting Assistant Professor of Italian at Miami University in Oxford OH.
My time at the University of Oregon has been crucial for my personal and professional growth. I am grateful I had the opportunity to study in such a vibrant department and to work closely to my advisors, Professors Nathalie Hester and Massimo Lollini as well Professor Regina Psaki. I am also particularly thankful for the professional training in second language acquisition that I received at UO and for the unique opportunity I had to teach a variety of Italian courses.
At Miami University, I am currently directing the Summer Study-Abroad Program “Intensive Italian in Urbino, Italy” for the Department of French and Italian. With a colleague we are developing the workshop into a program that brings together language learning and cultural competence building. As far as my research is concerned, I am co-editing a volume tentatively titled Photography as Power in Italy to be published through Cambridge Scholar Publishing in 2017. This book explores how photography–as material object and social agent– has been employed to support and/or resist hegemonic discourses from the Risorgimento to the Berlusconi era.pazzaglia