Students of Portuguese language talk about their experiences in Brazil and Portugal

Studying abroad  may be one of the most beneficial experiences for a student learning foreign languages, not only for the opportunity to study in a foreign nation and take in the allure and culture of a new land, but also to find new ways of thinking. Find below the stories of three students who went abroad this summer to improve their Portuguese skills.

Kevin O'Hare, Ph.D Candidate, Political Science

“I visited Lisbon Portugal during the month of August to take Portuguese language classes at the Instituto de Cultura e Lingua Portuguesa, which is at the University of Lisbon and to conduct interviews for my dissertation. During my trip, I visited many historical landmarks and enjoyed Portugal’s delicious food. Some of the places I visited wereBaixa Chiado, the Castelo de São Jorge, Belem Tower, Jerónimos Monastery, and the town of Cascais.” —  Kevin O’Hare, Ph.D Candidate, Political Science

Robert Catlett“Getting to go to Rio for the 2016 Olympics was an amazing opportunity. I got to see some of the best athletes from all over the world, come together and compete for the gold medal. This wasn’t my main reason for going on the trip. It was to help the people and Favelas of Rio. Thank you so much to the L.I.V.E. Olympic Project Community Collaborations International organization for bringing all of the volunteers and amazing people together to help the kids and the families in the favela of Manguinhos in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.”  Robert Catlett ’19, Romance Languages

Isabela Crocker“I spent this summer in Lisbon, Portugal, to learn Portuguese. It was a fantastic experience to have, and I think that Portugal is a very overlooked country with amazing people and a rich history and culture! Photo of me in a Knights Templar Cathedral.” –Isabela Crocker ’18, Romance Languages

To have more information about the Portuguese program at the University of Oregon, please contact Instructor Bené Santos at benballe@uoregon.edu.