RL majors honored for academic excellence

Congratulations to French Major Senna Steward, Spanish major Sarah Blanchard and Romance Languages major, Daniel Spragens!

Senna Stewart and Daniel Spragens with Professor Moore and Professor Schacter. February 20, 2014

The three students were honored at an award ceremony and banquet on February 20th along with their peers for their academic excellence. Also in attendance were Professor Fabienne Moore and Visiting Professor Marc Schacter who have had the pleasure of teaching the students this year and last. Professor Terry Hunt, Dean of the Honors College, spoke to the assembled students and faculty about lessons from the ancient wisdom of Rapa Nui from Easter Island, the mystery of their “walking statues,” and epiphanies in academic inquiry.

Senna Stewart was part of the first cohort in the Global Scholars Hall French language program last year, coordinated by Professor Moore. Senna comments “The most rewarding thing about my French major is knowing that I have the ability to communicate with someone who doesn’t necessarily speak my native language. My goal is to use French to help people around the world communicate easily and effectively.”

Sarah Blanchard is a triple major in Spanish, International Studies, and Outdoor Pursuits. Sarah explains: “I became interested in languages and international affairs in high school when I studied abroad in Paraguay, Poland, and Malaysia. I am planning on studying abroad in Cuzco, Peru in 2015 with SIT, a student research program. While I am there I hope to live with the indigenous population and study the effects of globalization and environmental degradation on their traditional life styles. I suppose that opportunities like this are the most rewarding part of being a Spanish major, being able to implement what is learned in the classroom to make real world connections and experiences.”

Daniel Spragens (RL major in Italian and Spanish) is immersed in a translation of a Latin manuscript tracing references to fencing.

Caption for image: Senna Stewart and Daniel Spragens with Professor Moore and Professor Schacter. February 20, 2014